A Handy Guide To American Cockroaches For Los Angeles Property Owners
February 15, 2021
Dealing with cockroaches on your property is one of the most frustrating pest problems you could encounter. Cockroaches are dangerous pests that carry many diseases including salmonella and typhoid fever, so they aren’t an insect you want in your home or business.
While there are around 4,500 different species of cockroaches in the world, there are only a few that are common in the Los Angeles area. While the German cockroach is the most common, the American cockroach is also a frequent home-invading cockroach, and they are also the biggest. These cockroaches can reach up to three inches long, and they are reddish-brown in color with a greasy sheen to their bodies. They have long, oval-shaped bodies and wings that lie flat on their backs.
In this guide, you’ll learn why cockroaches are such a difficult pest to deal with and get the best prevention tips to help protect your property.
Why Are Cockroaches Such Bad News?
Cockroaches are a big problem for several reasons including the fact that they are difficult to deter and to remove. American cockroaches can enter a home in many different ways including through small spaces around your home and by being brought in on cardboard boxes, so it can be difficult to prevent them. Then, once inside, they can reproduce quickly and are also resistant to many pesticides making them nearly impossible to eliminate without assistance.
However, the most worrisome element of a cockroach infestation is that they pose so many health risks. Along with having the ability to spread around 35 diseases, they can also cause allergic reactions and allergy attacks, as well as contaminating food sources.
Top Seven American Cockroach Prevention Tips
While it’s not always possible to prevent cockroaches, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of an infestation. It’s always better to take preventive measures than it is to try to handle a pest problem in Los Angeles once it begins. Take these seven steps to eliminate and reduce factors that attract American cockroaches to your property.
- Cockroaches are attracted to food, so keep kitchens clean by wiping up spills right away and regularly sweeping and mopping floors. Also, make sure to store both people and pet food in airtight containers.
- They are also attracted to humidity, so fix leaky plumbing and use dehumidifiers. You should also ensure that your property has good ventilation, especially in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Take the time to declutter to make it harder for cockroaches to hide.
- Regularly take out the trash and keep lids on all garbage cans.
- Repair or replace any damaged screens in doors and windows.
- Vacuum around the home or business often.
- Clean out fridges, pantries, and cupboards on a regular basis.
Why You Need Professional Cockroach Removal
Even if you do take steps to prevent cockroaches, you could still end up with an infestation. If you’ve found cockroaches around your property, the only truly effective and safe way to remove them is with help from the experts at MadCo Pest-A-Side. Trying to get rid of cockroaches on your own is ineffective and potentially dangerous as many pesticides contain toxic chemicals.
Don’t waste your time and money. Instead, let our residential and commercial pest control experts provide reliable cockroach prevention and control. Request service today by giving us a call at (951) 259-8243.