Why Cockroaches Are Bad News For Your Riverside Home
September 15, 2020
Do you know what a bad omen is? It is an event such as a black cat crossing your path or rain on your wedding day, which signifies something negative to come. Typically, bad omens are only as bad as we make them. But there are always exceptions to the rule. If you ever spot a cockroach inside your Riverside home, be certain, bad things will follow. Here are some of the problems cockroaches pose and some ways to prevent these pests from invading your property.
Common Roach Species Around Riverside
Five species of cockroach call California their home, German roaches, brown-banded roaches, Oriental roaches, American roaches, and Turkestan roaches. Each of these pests is unique in their size, color, and distinguishing markings.
- A German roach is tan or light brown, 13-16 mm long, and has two dark horizontal lines located just behind its head.
- A brown-banded roach is light brown, 11-14.5 mm long, and has light brown to tan transverse bands on their wings.
- An American roach is reddish-brown or mahogany, 50 mm long, and has a yellow figure eight-band located just behind its head.
- An Oriental roach is shiny black or dark reddish-brown, 25-32 mm long, and has no distinguishing markings.
- A Turkestan roach is dark brown to black (if female) or brownish-orange or red (if male), 25mm long, and has cream-colored markings along the edge of its body and rounded wings (if female) or yellow wings that extend beyond its body (if male).
Although roaches differ in color, size, and distinguishing markings, all cockroaches share a few common features. For one, all roaches are top-heavy and have six barbed legs, which they use to cling to surfaces. This is why they fall onto their backs after they die, and their grip fails. All cockroaches also have oval-shaped bodies and a pair of long antennae, which they use to better sense the area around them.
Why Cockroaches Are Dangerous
Cockroaches are much more dangerous than they look, and that is saying something as they are intimidating and creepy looking pests. The main job of a roach is to consume and break down rotting or decaying matter. Although this type of behavior is vital for the health of the environment, it is dangerous when brought into homes. Through disease causing organisms and particulates of fecal matter and shed skin, cockroaches make people very sick. Some of the most common diseases and health issues these pests cause include.
- E. coli
- Asthma attacks
- Allergic reactions
- Other forms of respiratory irritation
Are Cockroaches Difficult To Treat
Cockroaches are one of the most resilient creatures on the planet. They are resistant to several pest control products, able to survive dangerous amounts of radiation, and capable of withstanding over 900 times their body weight in pressure. These things combined make these pests formidable opponents for homeowners looking for solutions.
The only way to effectively handle a cockroach infestation is with professional pest control services. At MadCo Pest-A-Side, we offer detailed pest management programs designed to eliminate and prevent cockroaches at all stages of their development. Don’t risk your health and safety, trying to handle these dangerous pests on your own. Instead, trust our team with the care of your home as we have your best interests in mind.
Call or reach out to us through our website today to find an affordable answer to any pest problems you and your Riverside home are facing.